Grand Train Tour of Switzerland
The Train Tour
Zurich– Interlaken– Montreux– Zermatt– St. Moritz– Lugano– Lucerne
April, May and June Free 1st class upgrade*
Explore the cultural differences within the country and its 4 languages, all the while taking in some spectacular countryside and staying in beautiful Swiss towns. It’s a great opportunity to visit the very best of Switzerland on some of the most exciting scenic trains in Europe.
Day 1: Arrival Switzerland
Individual travel to Zurich. As a lakeside “me- tropolis of experiences”, with a magnificent view of the snow-capped Alps on the horizon, Zurich offers a unique mixture of attractions. Overnight in Zurich.
(GoldenPass Line Lucerne– Interlaken) Train ride to Lucerne. When boarding the Luzern–Interlaken Express, you are about to go on an unforgettable journey right into the heart of Switzerland. This 2 hour ride will take you along the shores of crystal-clear lakes, past romantic waterfalls and over the mag- nificent Brünig mountain pass. After a short journey you arrive in Interlaken. The city lies in the Bernese Oberland on an alluvial plain, between Lake Thun and Lake Brienz. The va- cation destination is overlooked over by the three mighty mountains, Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau. Overnight in Interlaken.
Lake Thun you will reach the Simmen valley with Zweisimmen and Gstaad. Your journey takes you through the wild and romantic Pays d’Enhaut with the scenic villages of Château d’Oex and Montbovon, and through a tunnel, before a panoramic view of Lake Geneva and Montreux opens in front of you. Overnight in Montreux.
Day 4: Montreux– Zermatt
Journey from Montreux to Zermatt. For the rest of the day you can admire the famous Matterhorn from Zermatt village or take the opportunity to do a non-guided excursion to the Gornergrat. Overnight in Zermatt.
Day 5: Zermatt– St. Moritz
In the morning, take the world-famous Glacier Express for a ride in the panorama carriage to St. Moritz. The train takes you on over the Oberalp pass (2033 m) and through the im- pressive Rhine gorge. Overnight in St. Moritz.
Day 6: St. Moritz– Lugano (Bernina Express)
Board the Bernina Express at St. Moritz sta- tion and enjoy one of the most impressive scenic rail journeys Switzerland has to offer. Climbing over the spectacular Bernina pass to more than 2253 m, you pass snow-covered mountain peaks and glaciers then descend towards Poschiavo and Brusio. After travelling over spiral viaducts and through winding tun- nels, you reach Tirano in Italy, which is the end of the Bernina line. Change to the Bernina Express Bus which will take you onwards to Lugano. Overnight in Lugano.
Day 7: Lugano– Lucerne (Gotthard Panorama Express)
With the Gotthard Panorama Express you will travel from the Mediterranean south to the traditional heart of Switzerland. The journey takes you along the spectacular Gotthard route – an unforgettable trip through an im- pressive countryside. You will travel by 1st class panorama carriage from Lugano to Flüelen. Passengers will be accompanied in the pan- orama railcar by a travel guide. Passengers will also be entertained with special effects and additional information on the region such as its sights, mythology and mystique. From Flüelen you will have a boat ride over lake Lucerne. Overnight in Lucerne.
Day 8: Departure Lucerne
Individual return journey.
- 44 attraction highlights along the route 11 UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- 22 Lakes
- 4 Language regions
- 2 Biopshere Reserves
- 7 x Overnight stay with breakfast and city tax in Zurich, Interlaken, Montreux, Zermatt, St. Moritz, Lugano, Lucerne
- 1 x Grand Train Tour Ticket including – 8 transfers in 2nd class including up to 50% reductions on selected transport services (mountain railways, trains, buses and boats)
- 1 x Seat reservation for GoldenPass Line, Glacier & Bernina Express in 2nd class and Gotthard Panorama Express s in 1st class
- 1 x Excursion to Jungfraujoch (non-guided)
- 1 x Swiss Coupon Pass
- 1 x myTravel Stamp Booklet
- 1 x Certificate Grand Train Tour of Switzerland
Good To Know
* Free 1st class upgrade for April, May and June for all markets, excep India (only valid in June) and Thailand (only valid May and June)
- Upgrade 1st class rail CHF 196
- Excursion Gornergrat (non-guided) CHF 67
- Excursion Pilatus (non-guided) CHF 78
- Excursion Voralpen-Express (non-guided) CHF 63
- Day 7: Gotthard Panorama Express operates from 21.04.– 14.10.18 from Tuesdays to Sundays